Uptown Players announces auditions for Angels In America, Part One Millennium Approaches, which runs November 4 through 20, 2016 at the Kalita Humphreys Theater.
Tony Kushner’s epic play, set in 1985 in New York City, opens with Louis Ironson, a gay Jew, learning that his lover, Prior Walter has contracted the AIDS virus. As the play and Prior's illness progress, Louis becomes unable to cope with the emotional stress and moves out. Meanwhile, closeted gay Mormon and Republican Joe Pitt, a law clerk in the same judge's office where Louis holds a clerical job, is offered a major job opportunity by his mentor, the McCarthyist lawyer Roy Cohn. Joe doesn't immediately take the job because he feels he has to check with his Valium-addicted, agoraphobic wife, Harper, who is unwilling to move.
The following roles are open to both equity and non-equity actors. There are two LOA/LORT principle equity contracts available for this production. The production is under the direction of Cheryl Denson.
- Roy M. Cohn (male, age 45-55+) – a successful New York lawyer and unofficial power broker. (also plays the ghost of prior 2)
- Joseph Porter Pitt (male, age 21-35) – chief clerk for Justice Theodore Wilson of the Federal Court of Appeals, second Circuit (also plays the ghost of prior 1 and the eskimo)
- Harper Amaty Pitt (female, age 21-35) – Joe’s wife, an agoraphobic with a mild valium addiction (also plays Martin Heller)
- Louis Ironson (male, age 20-30) – a word processor working for the Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Prior Walter (male, age 20-35) – Louis’s boyfriend. Occasionally works as a club designer or caterer, otherwise lives very modestly but with great style off a small trust fund. (also plays the man in the park)
- Hannah Porter Pitt (female, age 45-55+) – Joe’s mother, currently residing in Salt Lake City, living off her deceased husband’s army pension (also plays Rabbi Isidor Chemelwitz and Dr. Henry and Ethel Rosenberg)
- Belize (male African-American/Latino age 25-35) – a former drag queen and former lover of Prior’s. A registered nurse. Belize’s name was originally Norman Arriaga, Belize is a drag name that stuck. (also plays Mr Lies)
- The angel (female, age 20-40) – four divine emanations, fluor, phosphor, lumen and candle; manifest in one, the continental principality of America. She has Steel-gray wings. (also plays Emily and Sister Ella Chapter and the woman in the south Bronx)
Auditions will be held by appointment on Monday, August 1 and Tuesday August 2 from 6pm to 10pm at the Kalita Humphreys Theater, 3636 Turtle Creek Boulevard (@ Blackburn), Dallas TX 75219. For an audition appointment click here.
Auditions will consist of reading selections from the script. The script is available at S.T.A.G.E. and at the Uptown Players Box office during box office hours. Audition sides will be posted on the Uptown Players website audition page by July 26. A headshot and resume are required at auditions. Callbacks will take place on Saturday, August 6 at 10am.
Rehearsals will begin the week of October 10. The production runs November 4 through 20 at the Kalita Humphreys Theater.
For additional information, visit www.uptownplayers.org.